6K Inc. has an immediate opening for an experienced materials scientist/engineer to lead the development of advanced cathode materials using 6K’s unique UniMeltTM plasma synthesis technology. The successful candidate will have a strong background in cathode materials with preference given to candidates with industrial experience. The Principal Materials Engineer will report to the Vice President of Battery Products and will play a critical role in developing the chemistry and methods to produce next generation cathode materials, from R&D to manufacturing scale-up. The Principal Materials Engineer will work closely with other materials scientists/chemists/chemical engineers, process engineering, and equipment design groups to bring 6K’s technology to market in support of both commercial and government projects.
- Master’s degree in materials science, chemistry, or related field
- 7+ years’ experience in cathode development including development of new materials/compositions, from R&D to production scale-up
- Deep and broad knowledge of materials synthesis, chemistry, microstructure, and failure mechanisms
- Strong problem-solving skills; analytical and data-driven; able to come up with creative solutions to unique challenges
- Willingness and ability to be a player-coach and provide direction, guidance, and mentoring to junior engineers and technicians
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively across the R&D, process development, and equipment engineering teams to bring 6K’s technology to market
- Creativity and flexibility; must be able to respond effectively and positively to the changing needs of a rapidly growing and dynamic startup environment
- Strong organization skills with the ability to execute multiple parallel projects
- Familiarity with the new product development process, including phase-gate, product validation, FMEA, etc.
- Strong project management skills, with a track record of success; ability to deliver on time and on budget to meet program and corporate goals
- Deep understanding of design of experiments and their appropriate application
- Strong written and oral communication skills; able to converse effectively across all levels of the organization and with external entities via presentations, technical reports, etc.
- PhD in materials science, chemistry, or related field
- Experience with the synthesis of Li-ion battery materials
- Experience with and understanding of novel synthetic methods; experience with flame pyrolysis or similar methods a plus.
- Familiarity with automotive quality requirements and the product validation process
To apply for this job email your details to careers@6Kinc.com