6K Inc., is a pre-IPO, high-tech start-up based in North Andover, MA focused on the production of materials for applications involving additive manufacturing, lithium-ion batteries, LED lighting and displays, and semiconductor polishing.
6K Inc.’s UniMelt® plasma technology enables customers to tailor ceramic, metal, or composite materials to their specifications, in order to meet the requirements of advanced end-products; we also address vital needs in two distinct markets – Additive Manufacturing and Battery Materials
We are searching for a Vice President of Strategy and Business Development.
Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the Vice President of Strategy and Business Development will have a direct impact on the strategic evolution of the company. This individual will be primarily responsible for conceptualizing, qualifying, developing and executing strategic partnerships; as well as leading strategic initiatives, such as directing product launch activity and orchestrating product lifecycle management. These activities will serve to significantly drive value creation for the company and its shareholders. Additionally, this individual will be responsible for properly positioning the company to all external constituents, helping to unlock the value inherent in the portfolio.
- Evaluating domestic and international partnering opportunities, including nurturing external relationships, structuring partnerships and developing collaborative business plans;
- Creating compelling strategic and commercial justifications of recommended opportunities including detailed financial, competitive and commercial analyses for presentation to the senior executive team and Board of Directors;
- Supporting and/or leading term sheet negotiations, due diligence and deal execution to successfully complete strategic transactions;
- Helping to refine the company’s product pipeline strategy from its current state through to commercialization. This will be accomplished by:
- Leading efforts to expand the company’s market knowledge from multiple sources including the incumbent’s own experience and network, the collective knowledge of the company’s employee base and Board of Directors, and insights from publicly available information, prospective customers and partners, and third party industrial relationships;
- Building and refining stage-specific business plans that detail target value proposition, successful market penetration, IP landscape and strategy, etc.;
- Collaborating with the Executive Staff and technical departments to ensure that proper candidate projects are developed in a timely fashion; and
- Building and refining preliminary economic models that translate into target NPVs at various stages of development.
- Overall Alliance Management for existing and new partners, ensuring that expectations, progress, communications, etc. are satisfying to customers/partners as programs move to execution and commercialization stages;
- Attending key industry conferences and developing external relationships with potential partners, industry consultants etc. to source new collaborative opportunities; and
- Interacting seamlessly and collaboratively across all disciplines within the company.
In terms of professional background, the preference is for a minimum of fifteen years of business experience, at least half of which should have come in a managerial context in product commercialization and/or business development, product or business line leadership, sales and/or marketing. We are seeking a common-sense executive with sound business judgment and refined negotiation skills. It is critical that this individual possess a track record of doing deals and driving commercial development and scale-up around novel materials-based products or components that are sold on advanced features and functions. In the ideal, this individual will possess deep experience in the non-commoditized chemicals and/or advanced materials sectors. It is also possible that this individual comes from an end market user of advanced materials, such as battery, 3D printing, lighting and displays, coatings and films makers, etc. A comprehensive knowledge of the entire advanced materials commercialization cycle is critical, including all aspects of determining customer and application needs, sorting and prioritizing those needs that will generate revenue fastest, and leading business forecasting. This individual should be highly nuanced in his/her ability to dissect markets and translate those strategic plans into actionable business development activity in the form of joint development agreements, product adoptions, design-in collaborations, purchase orders and purchase contracts, as well as strategic partnerships and distribution agreements. The individual should be proficient as both an ‘Opener’ and ‘Closer.’ A track record of successful market and partnership development is a priority. This individual will need to be pragmatic and able to think in imaginative ways and act opportunistically. The strong preference is for exposure to both corporate and entrepreneurial cultures.
As importantly, the ideal candidate should possess strong financial and technical acumen and must have closed a variety of business development deals of consequence. It is necessary that this individual have the ability to work collaboratively with a highly competent scientific team while building awareness of the company in the external marketplace. Furthermore, the ability to influence a broad range of constituents, both scientific and business in orientation, internally, externally and on the Board of Directors is essential.
On a personal level, the Vice President of Strategy and Business Development must be a highly articulate and fluid communicator in both individual and group settings. The position requires heightened intelligence, mature business judgment, an elevated work ethic, personal warmth and rich imagination.
This individual must be biased toward action rather than simply cerebral; a fast-paced leader with a demonstrated track record of achievement.
Desired personal traits in the Vice President of Strategy and Business Development for 6K, Inc. include:
- Ambition, urgency, initiative and enthusiasm;
- Nuanced business judgment;
- Energetic, imaginative and driven toward productive results;
- Self-motivated and self-reliant;
- Personal maturity;
- Flexibility at intellectual and behavioral levels;
- Rigorous analytical capabilities;
- A collaborative working style and team-oriented temperament;
- Creativity and conceptual imagination;
- An ability to negotiate and successfully close deals;
- The highest professional and ethical standards; and
- A natural and comfortable leadership style.
At an educational level, we are seeking an individual with a minimum of an undergraduate degree, preferably in a technical field, such as electrical engineering, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, materials science, chemistry, physics, or a related discipline. An MBA and/or a graduate degree in an appropriate technical discipline would represent additionally pleasing academic credentials. It is understood, however, that education, while important as an indicator of character, intellectual ability and achievement, would be subordinate to personal qualities and professional accomplishments as variables in the selection process.
For immediate consideration, please forward your resume in confidence to Charles Washington at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com